We have all heard the horror stories of the toxic black mold and the havoc it wreaks on your health as well as your property. Is black mold as dangerous as people make it out to be, and what should you do if you find it in your home? If you have signs of any sort of mold growing indoors you should always seek professional mold removal and remediation services immediately to prevent the situation from spinning out of control. Let’s discuss black mold and its effects on your health and home or business, and how it can be removed by OTM Restoration.
What Is Black Mold?
There are three classifications of mold- allergenic, pathogenic, and toxic. True black mold – scientifically known as Stachybotrys chartarum- is considered a toxic mold. Black mold is often dark in color and can be black or dark green or brown. It typically has a fuzzy or velvety texture. Often it is seen in clusters of circular spots. This type of mold creates mycotoxins that can cause some serious health symptoms, and in more extreme situations can even be fatal. If you have pets or service animals it should be noted that black mold can have damaging effects on their health as well. Black mold should never be ignored and mold removal should be sought immediately.
Where Does Black Mold Grow Indoors?
Black mold loves to grow on moist and damp surfaces and feeds on its host. It can potentially grow anywhere that is consistently damp or where there are leaks. No building material or surface is safe as this kind of mold can thrive on drywall, carpets, upholstery, floorboards, insulation, wood, furniture, ceiling tiles, cardboard, and paper products.
How Does Black Mold Affect Me?
Since black mold eats away at its host it can cause serious damage to your property and belongings. It is also known to cause many health related side-effects such as:
- Asthma Attacks
- Persistent cough
- Respiratory discomfort and infections
- Allergy issues such as itchy, watery eyes and itchy throat
How Can Black Mold Be Removed Safely?
Mold is very tricky to remove because of the way it spreads. Mold is able to spread through airborne spores, so if not handled by a professional it may just encourage the mold to spread to other areas of your residential or commercial property. Handling black mold can also put your health at risk. Removing the source of water is a very important step in getting rid of black mold. Once the leak is stopped or the water is cleared, chances are you will still be left with some mold that needs a professional’s attention.
Black mold does present those who are exposed to it with potential health risks, and can be very dangerous if it is not removed quickly. If you find yourself dealing with black mold in your home or in your business, there is no need to panic. Our trusted team of experts at OTM Restoration can assess the damage and return your home or business to the safe and comfortable space it once was. We offer 24/7 emergency services. Don’t spend another minute worrying about black mold, call us now!